MSMTP Problem [OT]

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 9 13:07:57 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 20:42 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 09/09/2012 08:14 PM, Arthur Dent wrote:
> > Well I don't know exactly how msmtp works, but I can't find any
> > reference in maillog to the test outgoing mails.
> >
> > Here's what I have in /etc/msmtprchttp (the configuration file
> > accessible by apache which I refer to in php.ini:
> > logfile /var/log/msmtp.log
> > tls on
> > tls_certcheck off
> > tls_starttls off
> > host smtp.blueyonder.co.uk
> > from noreply at mydomain.org
>
> Well....  msmtp is an SMTP client.
>
> With your configuration you're sending the message to the SMTP server at smtp.blueyonder.co.uk for processing.  So, the logs of what then happened would be on that machine.  Which, I'm guessing, you don't have access to.
Correct...

> Basically, your message was sent out from your system.....but what happened to it is unknown.
Correct...

> You can test msmtp without using a configuration file by creating a "message" and then doing something like....
>
> cat message | /usr/bin/msmtp --host=smtp.blueyonder.co.uk -f you at whatever.com towho at someplace.com

Ha! That works! (Well sort of)...
I used the command:
cat message | /usr/bin/msmtp --host=smtp.blueyonder.co.uk -f
mark at mydomian.org fred at myotherdomain.eu (where myotherdomain.eu has a
catchall redirect the sends mail to mark at mydomain.com)

The mail came through with a "From" (and return) address of
SRS0=yLoOyU=mydomain.org=mark at myotherdomain.eu

Not quite sure how those strings came about, but at least mail gets
through.

So the question:
What settings should I be using?

On my normal mail client (Evolution) I have (as instructed by
blueyonder) got SSL on, delivering to port 465, with no authentication.
I can send mail as mark at mydomain.org, or as
misc.lists at blueyonder.etc.etc. as I am doing now.

Thanks again...

Progress at last.