Installing MATE

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Sep 17 15:55:17 UTC 2012

Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 09/17/2012 08:29 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>> I got some questions about MATE and wanted to install it and actually
>>> see how it worked. I started with a machine on fc17, which had Cinnamon
>>> and XFCE installed. After doing the yum install, I don't see MATE in the
>>> list of managers available at login. Before I spend a lot of time in
>>> documentation, it this normal? Does it not drop in like KDE, etc?
>>>

>> MATE is not currently in the Fedora repositories.
>>
> Okay, that explaines it, I thought the stuff called mate-window-manager,
> which really is most definitely in the Fedora repositories, was the mate I
> wanted.
> mate-window-manager.i686                     1.4.0-3.fc17
> updates
> mate-window-manager-devel.i686               1.4.0-3.fc17
> updates
> mate-window-manager-libs.i686                1.4.0-3.fc17
> updates
>
> So what on Earth is the stuff in the repository, then?

Some intermediate f17 packages made their way into updates as a way to test
things for the ongoing f18 feature efforts.  for better or worse, this
conflicted  with the obs/dropbox mate repo packages, so we  (fedora) aren't
adding any new packages to f17, at least  until the f18 efforts are 100%
complete.