Installing MATE

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Sep 17 16:32:42 UTC 2012

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Ed Greshko wrote:
>>>>

>>> MATE is not currently in the Fedora repositories.
>>>
>> Okay, that explaines it, I thought the stuff called mate-window-manager,
>> which really is most definitely in the Fedora repositories, was the mate I
>> wanted.
>> mate-window-manager.i686                     1.4.0-3.fc17
>> updates
>> mate-window-manager-devel.i686               1.4.0-3.fc17
>> updates
>> mate-window-manager-libs.i686                1.4.0-3.fc17
>> updates
>>
>> So what on Earth is the stuff in the repository, then?
>
> Some intermediate f17 packages made their way into updates as a way to test
> things for the ongoing f18 feature efforts.  for better or worse, this
> conflicted  with the obs/dropbox mate repo packages, so we  (fedora) aren't
> adding any new packages to f17, at least  until the f18 efforts are 100%
> complete.

Okay, so the MATE stuff is in the Fedora repository but doesn't seem to work and
conflicts with the repository which might work. I will just tell the user with
the the problem that it's not actually supported in fc17 even though it is there
in the repo. The user has already had more luck than I have, got it to come up
and not work, as opposed to not even be on the menu.

Thanks for all the info, I dropped it on my fc18 test list.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>