Can't upgrade Fedora 17

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Apr 19 09:00:02 UTC 2013

Am 19.04.2013 10:50, schrieb Mateusz Marzantowicz:
> I don't like arguments about terms.

and i don't like discussions about clear subjects
like "yum does not solve dependencies" instead
"can't upgrade" while it is pretty clear that
such dep-problems in case of a normal update
are going away as they are coming while problems
with a dist-upgrade may need a specific bugreport

> They generally provide no solution to original problem

no, but if a topic is started with a clear subject
it is more likely that you get the right answers
especially if you strip the used command in your
initial post

> I used term upgrade (without 'from .. to ..'
> construction) because I can type yum upgrade in my shell to - do what?
> To upgrade to the next release? Please remove upgrade option from yum or
> don't tell me that I misused this term.

there is a difference between a command-line option and
the intention of what you like to do, the subject sounds
like a failing dist-upgrade with yum

> Right now I don't care F17 is EOL. I have two or more months to upgrade
> some of my systems to f18 or f19. Now, F17 is perfectly legal version so
> I don't know why should I be the only person thinking about installing
> latest packages for that particular version of Fedora.

because you used the wrong term in case of humans
we can discuss this now for hours or you simply
realize that a clear subject at start would be better

>>> Yum uses this term
>> where does it that for a package update?
>
> From man yum:
> upgrade - Is the same as the update command with the --obsoletes flag
> set. See update for more details

so what