Can't upgrade Fedora 17

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Apr 21 00:16:31 UTC 2013

Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> On 19.04.2013 10:15, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> Why?
>> why?
>>
>> because if short at the EOL of F17 someone says "upgrade fails"
>> everybody but you has a dist-upgrade in mind and not a simple
>> package update
>
> I don't like arguments about terms. They generally provide no solution
> to original problem. I used term upgrade (without 'from .. to ..'
> construction) because I can type yum upgrade in my shell to - do what?
> To upgrade to the next release? Please remove upgrade option from yum or
> don't tell me that I misused this term.

You used it in a way that many people thought you meant a release upgrade. No
matter how correct your usage might be if you don't use a subject which
summarizes your problem you get poor answers or none.

> Right now I don't care F17 is EOL. I have two or more months to upgrade
> some of my systems to f18 or f19. Now, F17 is perfectly legal version so
> I don't know why should I be the only person thinking about installing
> latest packages for that particular version of Fedora.
>
>>> Yum uses this term
>> where does it that for a package update?
>
>  From man yum:
>
> upgrade - Is the same as the update command with the --obsoletes flag
> set. See update for more details.

The fact that you continue to deny a poor choice of subject rather than just
make a note to be very clear in future subjects makes me sorry I spent time
composing two answers, one to your subject and one to your real problem.

Reindl tends to be blunt to the point of being rude, but often helpful. By
arguing with him you will probably get a higher ratio of blunt to helpful from
him, and two fewer answers from me.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>