Fedora vs CentOS -- php/apache and Drupal 7

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sat Apr 20 02:40:15 UTC 2013

On 04/20/2013 07:37 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 3:41 AM, Roger <arelem at bigpond.com
> <mailto:arelem at bigpond.com>> wrote:
>
>     It made me start thinking about Fedora vs CentOS because of the
>     problems I'm experiencing with Drupal 7 and php/Apache in Fedora
>     18 so here goes.
>

> It might be helpful to tell us what problems you're encountering with
> PHP, Apache, and Drupal 7 under Fedora 18.  I'm running Drupal 7 just
> fine on Fedora 18, and am willing to help you track down any issues
> you're encountering.
>
> --
> Jared Smith

Hi Jared
Thank you.

Until a few weeks ago I had no problem with Fedora 18 nor Drupal 7 on my
machines but the problem existed on the server since Drupal 7.21.
I was running a site copy some weeks old on my machines with no problems.
A few days ago I copied the server site to my machine and now have the
same problems.

Problem1 on the Server:
In Drupal 7, as administrator go to <Structure><Content types><Add
Content type> I get: php Fatal memory error. Tried to allocate nnnnnnn
bytes. ---  It is <only> when creating a new content type. Everything
else works as expected. The site has no faults, nothing in the logs.

Maximum allowable setting for php.ini on the remote server is 128M
Server runs cloudLinux based on Centos 6.n, php 5.3

On my machine/s I have experimented with php memory from 64M to 512M. At
256M the memory problem goes away temporarily.

Problem2: Apache.
Since the update a couple of weeks ago I get:
The connection was reset error and Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE):
The server closed the connection without sending any data.
Restarting apache does not work, restarting the pc resets apache and php
and the problem goes away for a few minutes.
I suspect php or some interaction between apache and php but have no
expertise in those areas.

There you have it. Complex and puzzling.

Roger