Fedora vs CentOS -- php/apache and Drupal 7

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Apr 20 19:01:19 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-04-20 at 12:40 +1000, Roger wrote:
> On 04/20/2013 07:37 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 3:41 AM, Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:
> >         It made me start thinking about Fedora vs CentOS because of
> >         the problems I'm experiencing with Drupal 7 and php/Apache
> >         in Fedora 18 so here goes.
> >

> > It might be helpful to tell us what problems you're encountering
> > with PHP, Apache, and Drupal 7 under Fedora 18.  I'm running Drupal
> > 7 just fine on Fedora 18, and am willing to help you track down any
> > issues you're encountering.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Jared Smith
> >

> Hi Jared
> Thank you.
>
> Until a few weeks ago I had no problem with Fedora 18 nor Drupal 7 on
> my machines but the problem existed on the server since Drupal 7.21.
> I was running a site copy some weeks old on my machines with no
> problems.
> A few days ago I copied the server site to my machine and now have the
> same problems.
>
> Problem1 on the Server:
> In Drupal 7, as administrator go to <Structure><Content types><Add
> Content type> I get: php Fatal memory error.  Tried to allocate
> nnnnnnn bytes. ---  It is <only> when creating a new content type.
> Everything else works as expected. The site has no faults, nothing in
> the logs.
>
> Maximum allowable setting for php.ini on the remote server is 128M
> Server runs cloudLinux based on Centos 6.n, php 5.3
>
> On my machine/s I have experimented with php memory from 64M to 512M.
> At 256M the memory problem goes away temporarily.
>
> Problem2: Apache.
> Since the update a couple of weeks ago I get:
> The connection was reset error and Error 324
> (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without
> sending any data.
> Restarting apache does not work, restarting the pc resets apache and
> php and the problem goes away for a few minutes.
> I suspect php or some interaction between apache and php but have no
> expertise in those areas.
>
> There you have it. Complex and puzzling.
----
problem #1 seems like it would occur on any server that is bound by
memory limits insufficient for the application and extensions you are
using. If your cloud server doesn't have enough memory, buy more memory
so that you can give it 256M. Likewise on F18.

problem #2 sounds like the known Chrome 'pre-fetch' issue that has come
up lately (you can Google it). Google is aware of the problem and is
working on a solution if that is the case. Are you aware of which
browser causes this problem?  Is it Chrome?

Craig

believed to be clean.