Error mounting Solaris disk (UFS)

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 06:57:44 UTC 2013

After discovering an ancient 40GB hard drive in a drawer under of a
pile of ancient papers (!), I decided to take a peek on it to see if
there's any data worth keeping, before formatting.

Discovering the file system gives me "Unix Fast File System"

# file -sL /dev/sde12
/dev/sde12: Unix Fast File system [v1] (little-endian), last mounted
on /export/home, last written at Fri Sep 26 01:46:07 2003, clean flag
2, number of blocks 37882656, number of data blocks 37287436, number
of cylinder groups 767, block size 8192, fragment size 1024, minimum
percentage of free blocks 1, rotational delay 0ms, disk rotational
speed 60rps, TIME optimization

However, when I try to mount it, I get errors...

# mount -t ufs -o ufstype=ufs,ro /dev/sde12 /mnt/disk39
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde12,

Changing ufstype to ufs2 gives me the same error.

Any ideas? This disk was installed on a system that ran Solaris 7 x86
at the time, I guess that was before ZFS...

FC
- George Orwell