LibreOffice version 4

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Feb 8 05:11:54 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 07 February 2013, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. sent:
> I mean even if it isn't in  the repos.....couldn't one just go to the
> actual LibreOffice web-site and download it for themselves? Or SHOULD
> I wait for it to be added to a repo? I've always wondered about
> this....

You can, but...

Unless their download is a YUM repo, so that future updates will be
pulled in with a general "yum update," you're going to have to do manual
updates for every program that you manually downloaded.  This turns the
convenient upgrading process that Fedora uses into the mess that Windows
is.  You can also miss out on updates, on the Fedora repo version, that
contains fixes pertaining to Fedora, that probably aren't put into the
program updates from the external source.

Unless their download is designed for the release of Fedora that you're
using, there's a risk that it's not compatible, or that you'll have
"fun" sorting out extra file dependencies to get it to run.

Depending on the source of the program you're installing externally, it
could be dangerous (accidentally or deliberately).  It's less likely to
have had the vetting that programs submitted to the Fedora repos have.

Any problems that you have with externally sourced programs will need
resolving with that external source.  You're less likely to find help on
this list about it.

Those are just a few of the gotchas that I can think of, off the top of
my head.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.7.3-101.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jan 18 17:40:57 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.