LibreOffice version 4

doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Feb 8 05:29:08 UTC 2013

On 02/08/2013 12:11 AM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 07 February 2013, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. sent:
>> I mean even if it isn't in  the repos.....couldn't one just go to the
>> actual LibreOffice web-site and download it for themselves? Or SHOULD
>> I wait for it to be added to a repo? I've always wondered about
>> this....
> You can, but...
>
> Unless their download is a YUM repo, so that future updates will be
> pulled in with a general "yum update," you're going to have to do manual
> updates for every program that you manually downloaded.  This turns the
> convenient upgrading process that Fedora uses into the mess that Windows
> is.  You can also miss out on updates, on the Fedora repo version, that
> contains fixes pertaining to Fedora, that probably aren't put into the
> program updates from the external source.
>
> Unless their download is designed for the release of Fedora that you're
> using, there's a risk that it's not compatible, or that you'll have
> "fun" sorting out extra file dependencies to get it to run.
>
> Depending on the source of the program you're installing externally, it
> could be dangerous (accidentally or deliberately).  It's less likely to
> have had the vetting that programs submitted to the Fedora repos have.
>
> Any problems that you have with externally sourced programs will need
> resolving with that external source.  You're less likely to find help on
> this list about it.
>
> Those are just a few of the gotchas that I can think of, off the top of
> my head.

Perhaps you should wait for the next rev of Apache OpenOffice.
I understand it will contain some or all of the user-friendly
interface of Symphony, another of the clone-cousins.  IBM
gave Symphony to Apache last year some time.)  You'll
most likely have to download it and install it yourself from
an rpm or dev archive, since most of the devs of the Linux
distros hate it.  But if you have compared the user interface of
Symphony with LO or the present day OO, you'd know why I
make this suggestion.

--doug