F18: how can I share printers??

Thomas Woerner twoerner at redhat.com
Thu Feb 14 14:30:35 UTC 2013

On 02/13/2013 12:12 PM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 11:43 +0100, antonio montagnani wrote:
>> what am I missing??? and which are the correct tools???
>
> If you use system-config-printer, or its troubleshooter, you might find
> what's up.
>
> My guess is that firewalld is preventing CUPS Browse packets from being
> received.

In F-18 firewalld is the default firewall solution using a zone model.
The default zone for the system is the 'public' zone, which only allows
to access ssh and dhcpv6 as a client.

If your machine is always at home you can safely change the default zone
to 'home', where ipp-client (printing client) is enabled by default. You
can do this with the command

   firewall-cmd --set-default-zone=home

or using the grahical configuration tool

   firewall-config

If your machine is a notebook, that you are using also in other
environments, for example an internet cafe and you are using wirelesss
at home also, then simply put your home wireless connection in the home
zone using the network manager configuration tool or with the
firewall-applet (left click on the connection you want to change and go
to general tab in nm-connection-editor).

If your machine is using wired lan at home and wireless every where
else, you can place the wired connection in the home zone and leave the
default to public.

You can also create and modify zones according to your needs with the
firewall-config tool.

> Tim.
> */

Thomas