Custom Partition Fedora 18

jonc jonc at downfromthetrees.com
Sun Feb 17 21:35:00 UTC 2013

On 02/17/2013 03:50 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>> Fedora offers 9 versions http://spins.fedoraproject.org/ in addition to the mainline release, including KDE,
>> XFCE, and LXDE.  That's in addition to the availability of MATE and Cinnamon in the mainline release.
> these are not really 9 versions
>
> a spin more or less a different set of default packages with
> a different defaut desktop and contains NOTHING you could
> not install with the DVD-ISO
>
> that said: if there is a probelem with a fedora release
> because basic components are switched in a to soon level
> of development this would affect ANY spin
>
> example: systemd, it was broken in F15 and affected all
> spins, broken in the way most services not converted and
> supressing most warnings/errors of services to maek it
> impossible debug them in a sane way

Quite true and not really any different than Ubuntu, where you can
download one image and use it to install that distribution in any of its
various forms. The basic point is that the existence of these
variations, and the people who use them that we choose to call
"communities" don't really gauge, in any meaningful way, the popularity
or acceptance of one desktop environment or the other. They do point to
the existence of small groups of people who have the desire and time to
produce these variations. But, they don't have any better way of
determining how many people use and like their products that anyone else
does.

It's my understanding that Fedora's primary role is to evaluate and
explore software for Red Hat, not necessarily to produce a stable
consumer-level product.  That's very much Ubuntu's mission, but it isn't
Fedora's. I expect Ubuntu not to break.  I expect Fedora to break.
Oddly, in my own experience, they both break about the same amount.