YUM (refresh-packagekit ?) possible problem

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Feb 22 00:26:36 UTC 2013

Quicksort wrote:

> Platform: *Fedora 17 x64*
>

> Hello everybody,
>
> Usually, updates frequency is high. But for about one week, none.
>
> How can I check my installed YUM (refresh-packagekit ?) still
> correctly does its work ? And what should I do if it does not ?

I have cron run "yum -y --downloadonly upgrade" daily, and I have the option to
keep packages set in yum.conf. At a civilized hour I check the mail and see
what's to be updated, and apply some or all of the packages.

To check that things are working, just "yum check-update" can be run manually,
it typically will download some metadata and present a list of what needs
update, if anything. It's relatively fast, and will give you that "warm fuzzy
feeling" that everything is ok, or tell you for certain that it's not.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>