F18 grub hang with blinking cursor after kernel update

Mike Zingale zingale at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 18:03:42 UTC 2013

I just did a yum update and got the 3.7.9 kernel for F18.  Upon reboot, the
grub screen never appears, no prompt or anything, just a blinking cursor in
the upper left.  The system just hangs there.

I booted the install disk, rescued, did a chroot to the system image and
remade grub2.cfg and reinstalled grub2 (with grub2-install), and still the
same issue.  I even yum removed the kernel that was just installed and
redid grub2, and again, nothing.

Any ideas on how to fix grub on this system?