F18: why isn't /etc/sysconfig/i18n (and why '/etc/locale.conf')?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Feb 26 16:14:30 UTC 2013

On 02/26/13 19:16, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:27:44 -0500
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> This is something we can all agree with.  The problem is that finding the
>> balance in practice turns out to be quite hard to do.

I've been avoiding this thread.  But I do have to ask.

> Not really, it is quite easy to do: if it is an entirely gratuitous
> and cosmetic change, then don't do it.

And who/what do you envision as the arbitrator of changes?   Who/what decides that a change is simply "gratuitous/cosmetic" or not?  I think you may be saying that you feel, at times, changes are made purely for the sake of change by some.   Is this opinion on your part or do you have documented evidence?

> The hard part is restraining
> the developers who think they are contributing useful work when
> all they are doing is making life hell for all the people trying
> to get real work done and have better things to do than dig
> through every blog and mailing list in the universe to try and
> discover what pointless change is being made next.

Again, it sounds as if you think a layer of "management" needs to be placed on developers.  Who else to "restrain" them from making your life miserable?

This list has become tiresome as of late.  People being critical without offering solutions *and* involving themselves in the process.  Bitching and moaning on this list isn't being "involved".

Are their shortcomings to Fedora in particular and any Linux distro in general?  You betcha.  Can we help each other get around the shortcomings and seek to improve what is handed to us?  Yes.  Without tearing down or insulting those who have given their time without seeking fame or fortune?  I think we can.