[OT] Folders under INBOX (re: g)

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jan 20 22:15:46 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald writes:

> > I'm fully willing to consider the possibility that there are a plethora of
> sieve-supporting email clients out there
> > that I just don't know about it.
> >
> > But, for some reason, I don't think that to be the case. There are some
> email clients that might support sieve, I
> > suppose. But I'd be shocked if, in the entire pool of email clients,
> they're more than statistical noise.
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/sieve/
> used since many years here
>
> http://sieve.info/clients

Sure there's a Thunderbird extension, but how many people know or care about
it? Right now, Thunderbird shows that this extension has been downloaded
only 37182 times. It's not clear to me whether that's the lifetime of the
extension, or just for the latest version.

Even if it's only the latest version, which was posted three months ago, you
have to admit, this is insignificant. And, Thunderbird is the most visible
client listed on Sieve's page.

> the problem is that there are too many servers to supporting
> sieve so why should someone add it as default for the clients
> and you are one of the server-side developers not interested

I'm not sure I follow your logic. According to the description of the
Thunderbird extension, the extension is not a client-side implementation,
but it manages Sieve on the server side.

If that were the case, and Sieve's mind-share on the server side was,
indeed, as much as you suggest, I would've thought that Sieve's server-
side's popularity would translate to a much higher download rate.

As far as Courier-IMAP goes, I don't recall anyone offering a patch, and me
capriciously rejecting it. I certainly don't have any particular interest in
working on Sieve myself, at this time. But that doesn't mean that, at some
point in the future, that won't change, or that I'll ignore someone's well-
written Sieve code. The authpipe module in courier-authlib was written by
someone else. I did not have, and have no interest right now, in anything
like that, but so what.