humble suggestion to Fedora developers

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 03:44:24 UTC 2013

On 01/27/2013 06:15 PM, Lailah wrote:
> El vie, 25-01-2013 a las 22:40 +0100, Frantisek Hanzlik escribió:
>> Joe Zeff wrote:
>> >
>> > It often seems to me that they're too concerned about making their names
>> > cute for my taste, but I don't use it myself and keep my opinion to
>> > myself for the most.  Now, alas, it's beginning to look like Fedora's
>> > going down that path instead of marketing itself as a serious distro for
>> > people who are more interested in how it works than in what it's called.
>> >  Alas, from what I can see, unless I'm active as a Fedora dev (My
>> > programming skills rusted away decades ago.) the only input I have to the
>> > process is making suggestions.  None of us "mere users" have a vote.
>>
>> Trend which I see in my Linux "neighbourhood" is quite transparent -
>> people switch from Fedora elsewhere: some of them to Centos, others
>> to different distro, some leave Linux entirely. Perhaps nobody now
>> is using Gnome3. Reasons were always same - unacceptable quantum of
>> bugs, which solving take unacceptable quantum of time (when problem
>> was possible tackle/bypass by himself). Or there were some SW faults
>> which was needed solve with developers, and in many cases it wasn't
>> solved even until distro EOL.
>>
>> I myself was not afraid install Fedora at production workstations and
>> servers, even in their beta phase - but it ended with F12-F13 (F14 was
>> still good distro, but in beta phase there was unworkable systemd; in
>> final release was upstart). And now I install Fedora not before several
>> weeks after final releas - and for testing purposes only.
>>

> Well, is curious...   I see the opposite situation.  People from other
> distros  (especially Ubuntu)  dropping into Fedora.  May be a
> geographic difference?
>

> /Regards from the south,/
> */Lailah/*

To add my 2 cents,.....I have both Ubuntu and Fedora on two separate
machines,the Ubuntu box is more for "dabbling" around with different
apps and the like,....while I've always used my Fedora machine for
"_work_".....(creating spreadsheets for inventory of PC's laptops and
hardware for the company I work for....using LibreOffice, and responding
to HelpDesk tickets that I forward to myself from work to Thunderbird /
GMail at home!) And while I STILL haven't upgraded to 18 as yet I
eventually will......I'm just terribly afraid of losing a lot....and
since I'm not conversant enough with the command line to "restore" my
DejaDup Backups....I'm pretty much stuck for the moment until I know 18
is a little more stable...as for people "jumping ship" even though a few
of the releases might have had a lot of bugs...I don't think I'll be
leaving Fedora just yet...LoL! I will wait to see if things smooth out
by like...19...maybe 20....

EGO II