OT: what's with the 'i'?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Jan 31 20:48:54 UTC 2013

> I **AM** dyslexic and live and die by my speel ckecher.
>
> Oops.
>
> Really, without 4th grade remedial speach and reading (back in '59) I
> don't know where I would be today.

I'm not dyslexic, but my 4th grade teacher (in '59, IIRC) had a method
of teaching spelling that ensured that if you ever fell behind you'd
never catch up.  (By the end of the term, the best students were
learning 35 new works a week; the worst, 5.)  I wasn't among the worst,
but fell behind enough that the only thing that's "taught" me spelling
is having the same words corrected over and over, and even then there
are some I can't remember.  At least you and I use our spelling checkers
and pay attention to them.  Those who can't spell and won't use them
have no excuse IMAO.