Fedora = "the darker side of the Internet?"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Oct 11 15:52:49 UTC 2013

Am 11.10.2013 17:45, schrieb Bill Oliver:
> They offer CentOS and Fedora on their virtual machines.  I use Fedora on my home machine, but switched to CentOS on
> the virtual machine because it's a hassle to frequently upgrade, and going from fedora 16 to 18 was impossible
> without reprovisioning the machine.

because you can't skip a version

i maintain around 20 production servers over years running with
fedora and *all of them* where upgraded from F9 to F18 with
yum as well the upgrade to F19 is tested and easy

you only need to follow the instructions and in case of GRUB2
it is also easy and painless to move /boot in case you have a
own virtual disk for it to get the needed free space

hence you can even do this on one virtual machine and blow
the dd-image including the partition table to the other
machines if they are maintained well and have the same software
based from the same golden master

so no - it is *not* impossible