Fedora = "the darker side of the Internet?"

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 12 07:03:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 17:53 -0400, Bill Oliver wrote:
> System administration really isn't just a matter of following
> instructions, else a monkey could do it quickly and efficiently.

If it really was as simple as following a set of instructions, which it
isn't, it could do it all by itself.

Installation program = set of instructions

Just about all of us know that some customisation is required.  Whether
that be to make it conform to personal preference, or to get the thing
to actually work.

The install routines are not magic.  No automatic process is.  They just
pick from predetermined choices based on certain criteria.  Criteria
which doesn't always make the best choice.

It's like those hideous multiple choice forms we have to fill in from
time to time.  You come across questions where none of the choices are
correct.  When you explain this, and your situation, to someone who
tries to help you, they invariably pick the least appropriate choice for
you.

Sometimes I wonder whether Microsoft programmers are hired using a
multiple choice form, where dumbest answers gets them in.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.