Fedora = "the darker side of the Internet?"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Oct 11 21:59:52 UTC 2013

Am 11.10.2013 23:53, schrieb Bill Oliver:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2013, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> Am 11.10.2013 17:45, schrieb Bill Oliver:
>>> They offer CentOS and Fedora on their virtual machines.  I use Fedora on my home machine, but switched to CentOS on
>>> the virtual machine because it's a hassle to frequently upgrade, and going from fedora 16 to 18 was impossible
>>> without reprovisioning the machine.
>>
>> because you can't skip a version
>>
>> i maintain around 20 production servers over years running with
>> fedora and *all of them* where upgraded from F9 to F18 with
>> yum as well the upgrade to F19 is tested and easy
>>
>> you only need to follow the instructions and in case of GRUB2
>> it is also easy and painless to move /boot in case you have a
>> own virtual disk for it to get the needed free space
>>
>> hence you can even do this on one virtual machine and blow
>> the dd-image including the partition table to the other
>> machines if they are maintained well and have the same software
>> based from the same golden master
>>
>> so no - it is *not* impossible
>
> Sigh.  Yes, I know you have to go through 17 to get to 18, Mr. Harald.  And, no, it's not just a matter of
> "following instructions."  In fact, almost nothing that requires significant technical skill is just a matter of
> "following instructions."  Arrogant savants forget the fact that they paid a lot of dues learning the little tricks
> that *aren't* in the instructions.  Your tell, for instance, is that you brag about upgrading 20 machines from F9
> to F18.  You may not be willing to admit it, but I suspect *somewhere* in there, there were a few gliches.  But,
> because you have done it a bunch of times, you know how to deal with them.  That's very different that doing it for
> the first time.

2006 i switched from one day to another completly to Fedora

this was short before FC6 was released, so my very first "no fallback machine"
was installed with FC5 and two days later upgraded to FC6 and while 1.5 years
later i started with production servers based on Fedora 9 i even skipped F9
and upgraded directly from F8 to F10 on desktop machines

so *no* you do not need years of technical skills, learning by doing works