Fedora = "the darker side of the Internet?"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Oct 11 22:03:57 UTC 2013

Am 11.10.2013 23:59, schrieb Reindl Harald:
> Am 11.10.2013 23:53, schrieb Bill Oliver:

>>> because you can't skip a version
>>>
>>> i maintain around 20 production servers over years running with
>>> fedora and *all of them* where upgraded from F9 to F18 with
>>> yum as well the upgrade to F19 is tested and easy
>>>
>>> you only need to follow the instructions and in case of GRUB2
>>> it is also easy and painless to move /boot in case you have a
>>> own virtual disk for it to get the needed free space
>>>
>>> hence you can even do this on one virtual machine and blow
>>> the dd-image including the partition table to the other
>>> machines if they are maintained well and have the same software
>>> based from the same golden master
>>>
>>> so no - it is *not* impossible
>>
>> Sigh.  Yes, I know you have to go through 17 to get to 18, Mr. Harald.  And, no, it's not just a matter of
>> "following instructions."  In fact, almost nothing that requires significant technical skill is just a matter of
>> "following instructions."  Arrogant savants forget the fact that they paid a lot of dues learning the little tricks
>> that *aren't* in the instructions.  Your tell, for instance, is that you brag about upgrading 20 machines from F9
>> to F18.  You may not be willing to admit it, but I suspect *somewhere* in there, there were a few gliches.  But,
>> because you have done it a bunch of times, you know how to deal with them.  That's very different that doing it for
>> the first time.
>
> 2006 i switched from one day to another completly to Fedora
>
> this was short before FC6 was released, so my very first "no fallback machine"
> was installed with FC5 and two days later upgraded to FC6 and while 1.5 years
> later i started with production servers based on Fedora 9 i even skipped F9
> and upgraded directly from F8 to F10 on desktop machines
>
> so *no* you do not need years of technical skills, learning by doing works

and i forgot to mention that this very first machine with Fedora was my
primary workstation with no fallback and upgraded from F5 to F11 until
it died without a single time re-install from scratch, honestly i have never
in my life re-installed a linux machine from scratch and move disks from old
to new hardware - there exists *nothing* in case of booting a Linux system
which can't be fixed with a Live-CD