3D printing

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Oct 14 17:05:43 UTC 2013

On 10/14/2013 09:57 AM, antonio issued this missive:
> Rick Stevens ha scritto / said the following    il giorno/on 14/10/2013
> 18:31:
>> On 10/12/2013 02:02 PM, antonio montagnani issued this missive:
>>> we are testing a 3D printer, with Marlin driver.With Repitiert Host at
>>> first test we didn't get any connection with 250000 baud rate.From
>>> googling around I am confused if 250000 baud can be accepted by Fedora
>>> (I think so)
>>> Printer works fine in Windows with same baud rate.Are we missing some
>>> point??
>>>
>>> Printer is 3drag from an Italian company, Futura Elettronica
>>
>> I've never heard of a 250K baud rate. I have seen 230.4K (230400) and
>> 256K (256000). I suppose it's possible but I don't know if a standard
>> program (e.g. stty) would know how to set those. It's dependent on the
>> crystal frequency being fed to the USART along with the various divisors
>> in the USART's registers.
>>
>> It may be that the Windows program goes down into the hardware more
>> deeply than standard Linux software does. You could probably do it
>> by writing code that pokes the appropriate registers in the USART but
>> I wouldn't know how to go about it. It's been a while since I did any
>> bit-fiddling at that level.
>> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    ricks at alldigital.com -
>> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
>> -        Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.       -
> tnx Rick foryour reply.
>
> I confirm that speed is 250000 baud and with same speed it works great
> in Linux if I use Cura.

Great! You're a smarter man than I, Antonio. As I said, that's just an
unfamiliar baud rate to me. Glad you got it sorted out.
- Politicians are the opposite of pickpockets because you never see  -
-        them take their hand out of your pocket.                    -
-                                             -- Larry Fine          -