systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Mon Oct 14 20:40:52 UTC 2013

On 14.10.2013 22:19, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 10/14/2013 01:01 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz issued this missive:
>> I don't have any fingerprint reader connected to my machine. Why is
>> systemd starting this useless daemon in this case? I've heard somewhere
>> that systemd tends to be more intelligent version of sysvinit that does
>> only what is really needed to save time and system resources. Here are
>> two lines from my system logs on F19 machine.
>>
>> systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
>> systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
>
> As root:
>
>     # systemctl stop fprintd.service
>     # systemctl disable fprintd.service
>
> It doesn't use a lot of resources...leaving it running is not a huge
> thing but yeah, if you don't have a scanner it is sorta silly.

It reports it's dead and started at the same time.

I know I can disable it but first I'd like to know it a little better.
Then I'd like to know why systemd doesn't recognize this daemon as
superflous and what triggers it's activation.

# systemctl status fprintd.service
fprintd.service - Fingerprint Authentication Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/fprintd.service; static)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:fprintd(1)

systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
fprintd[1870]: Launching FprintObject
fprintd[1870]: ** Message: D-Bus service launched with name:
net.reactivated.Fprint
fprintd[1870]: ** Message: entering main loop
systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
fprintd[2945]: Launching FprintObject
fprintd[2945]: ** Message: D-Bus service launched with name:
net.reactivated.Fprint
fprintd[2945]: ** Message: entering main loop

Mateusz Marzantowicz