systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Oct 14 20:19:43 UTC 2013

On 10/14/2013 01:01 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz issued this missive:
> I don't have any fingerprint reader connected to my machine. Why is
> systemd starting this useless daemon in this case? I've heard somewhere
> that systemd tends to be more intelligent version of sysvinit that does
> only what is really needed to save time and system resources. Here are
> two lines from my system logs on F19 machine.
>
> systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
> systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.

As root:

	# systemctl stop fprintd.service
	# systemctl disable fprintd.service

It doesn't use a lot of resources...leaving it running is not a huge
thing but yeah, if you don't have a scanner it is sorta silly.
- A friend said he climbed to the top of Mount Rainier.  My view is  -
-    that if there's no elevator, it must not be that interesting.   -