old disk in new system

Randolph Jones jonesrf1 at qwest.net
Thu Oct 17 22:22:48 UTC 2013

| From: Randolph Jones <jonesrf1 at qwest.net>

| I have 1tb disk with bootable fc14 installed as second disk in new box
| with fc19 xfce spin installed in 320gb disk.

Sounds reasonable.

Did you shut down the fc14 system cleanly last time you booted?
Perhaps an fsck is needed.

| fc19 sees the old disk and mounts as nonblock device.

Can you explain further?  Normally only block devices can be mounted.

| I want to convert the 1tb disk so I can use the data from fc19

It should not be a problem, according to my understanding of the
world.  My understanding is incomplete: I don't deeply understand
SELinux labelling.  Do you think that this is an SELinux issue?

| is there any way to mount this disk without losing all the data?

Surely.

fc19 shows the partitions of the 1tb disk on the desktop as removable
media not mounted or named; ie 500mb removable disk

if I rightclick and mount they are mounted as below

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
/dev/mapper/fedora00-root on / type ext4
(rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs
(rw,relatime,fd=32,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,seclabel)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime,seclabel)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,seclabel)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sdb2 on /boot type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)
/dev/mapper/fedora00-home on /home type ext4
(rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /run/media/rfj/36fe5fa0-e80c-401a-9a44-2c6edec4ef89 type
ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sda2 on /run/media/rfj/bdc68d9a-27d2-409e-9d85-f5c558690acf type
ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sda5 on /run/media/rfj/ce61b18b-b6f8-4996-8aa8-43d71cc2f0f8 type
ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)

sdb2 is my 300gb fc19 boot disk
sda is 1tb fc14 boot disk

I cant really use the 1tb data even after mounting as above

cant mount the individual partitions under fc19; I get not block device
error
randolph