Juvenile BASH question

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 08:03:36 UTC 2013

On 10/21/2013 05:50 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
> Now, this has worked perfectly for 3 months now, but the last few days I
> started getting errors about failed authentication to the databases.
> Here's where it gets weird.  I can su postgres - from a BASH prompt just
> fine,but when I run the script, it asks me for a password, which it
> didn't do before.

Someone probably changed or removed the "ident" authentication for
localhost in pg_hba.conf.  Start there.  The default configuration is:

local   all         all                               ident
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          ident
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all         all         ::1/128               ident

If you don't think that's the case, post the output of the script so
that we can tell what's prompting you.