Can't boot Live from USB - unknown fs type, can't mount root

Oliver Ruebenacker curoli at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 11:48:34 UTC 2013

     Hello,

  After getting the correct ISO file, I just slapped it onto to flash drive
with dd, and it worked.

  Interestingly, turning the flash drive into a Windows 7 install medium
was a lot more complicated.

     Best,
     Oliver

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 3:00 AM, Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:

> You have to burn the iso to the usb stick using cd creator or what ever
> you have for the purpose, similar to how one creates a cd or dvd, not copy
> it.
> I do this frequently and once the iso is on the stick it doesn't seem to
> matter what else is on it the iso still works( for me anyway). I have  a2
> gig stick that I've used this way for years.
> Roger
>

>  On Monday 21 October 2013 11:02 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>>

>>>      Hello,
>>>
>>>   I downloaded Fedora 19 Live CD and copied it to a USB flash drive via
>>> dd. When I try to boot from it on a Lenovo Thinkpad T430s, I do get a
>>> screen that says that Fedora Live CD is going to load, but then it fails.
>>> The first error message I see is:
>>>
>>>   kernel: SQUASHFS error: unable to read id index table
>>>
>>>   Then, some lines later, I get several lines that say:
>>>
>>>   dracut-mount[361]: mount: unknown filesystem type 'DM_snapshot_cow'
>>>
>>>   and then:
>>>
>>>   dracut-mount[361]: Warning: Can't mount root file system
>>>
>>>   And then I seem to be in a "dracut emergency shell"
>>>
>>>   Any ideas? Thanks!
>>>
>>>      Best,
>>>      Oliver
>>>

>> if you have another FC box try following and user to create live USB-stick
>>
>> yum install -y liveusb-creator
>>

>> Warm Regards
>>

> --

Oliver Ruebenacker
IT Project Lead at PanGenX (http://www.pangenx.com)
Be always grateful, but never satisfied.