Bit of a problem

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Tue Oct 22 22:53:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, Roger wrote:

> I have a HD with 2 partitions. Ubuntu 13.04 on one, primary boot is through
> ubuntu grub and Fedora 19 on partition 2 which I use all the time.
>
> Ubuntu13.04 ran into a problem yesterday during software update, it lost the
> internet connection and errors out with a dialog to say internet connection
> is lost.
> I tried it again this morning with same result after checking the internet
> and ensuring connection with fedora and ubuntu on eth0.
> I do not understand why ubuntu loses internet during update when it can
> download files and emails ok.
>
> Ubutnu 13.04 has problem for me, I have run all the cleanups and tests and
> run only the minimum of apps and there are no errors reported, but it takes
>> 30 seconds to start a terminal and another 50 seconds before the prompt
> appears.
>
> Because Fedora 19 is booted from the ubuntu grub partition I am reluctant to
> reinstall a fresh ubuntu because if it trashes Fedora I have major hassles re
> installing Rails and Drupal which are day projects on both linuxes.
>
> Is there any way I can change the boot to Fedora?
>
>[snip]

I had something like this happen to me a few years ago, though obviously it was not with current distros.  As I remember, I booted from a Fedora live CD and one of the options was to re-do the MBR.  I did, and it worked fine.

See:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/ap-rescuemode.html
and
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/31318/recovering-fedora-19-boot-reinstalling-grub/

Look at section 19.1.2.1 - Reinstalling the boot loader.

Frankly, if it wuz me, I'd just choose one or the other and run everything else as a virtual machine (I use virtualbox).

billo