Can yum resume??

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Wed Oct 23 17:12:21 UTC 2013

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 15:51:52 -0400, David wrote:
	[....]
> Excuse me. A question or two?
>
> You messed up an upgrade over a week ago, maybe two(?), and you still
> have no solution.

	Well, actually, since September 23. (My main question at that
time was whether the problem was in the hard- or software; and I don't
believe I've yet gotten a definite answer.)

> How would this time spend 'broken' compare with the time it would have
> taken to copy your important files, format the drive, and install the
> never release. Then put back your files and do the tweaks?
>
> :-)

	The immediate answer is that I concur with Joe Zeff and Javier
Perez. I'm long retired (fifteen years next month), and little concerned
with efficiency.

	I don't know about you, but besides being an autodidact, I'm
really too old for this; I forget things, especially when backing up,
even if I'm not interrupted. Or worse, I give bad commands and get things
like a big file that includes a copy of itself, which includes (... ,
etc., recursively, till the drive surrendered; that time I finally did
give up and install afresh.) When I last spent most of my time learning
things, the PC had not been invented.

	The other approach would have taken more time, been more tedious
as well as more prone to error, and offered no chance to discover
something useful (nor to enjoy the intellectual company of the better-
instructed). Neither would it, afaik, have told me whether my hard- or
software need healing.

	For one thing, my trifocal fingers and arthritic eyeballs slow me
way down. For another, my CLI-foo is minuscule -- I've probably studied
too many languages (natural, not computer-) for too long, so that now
those memory banks are overstuffed, whether or not the eyes and fingers
function. (Anybody want a lecture on Old High German? Minnesang? History
of Balto-Fennic grammar?)

	Also, the problem machine is my most expendable. If I succeed
with upgrading it (as I often do, believe it or not), then I can risk
tackling the next more important, and so up.

	Having had occasional disasters with backing up, I seldom
relinquish an old machine, and keep several largely interchangeable, so
that when (not if) I bollix one so badly that I can't get it online, I'll
be able to keep up my normal activities while howling aside for help.

	What's more, with several machines I can do enough of the backing
up with a GUI instead of a CLI so that there's a much better chance I'll
get it right. That bottom line in my .sig is what the late Goethe would
have called "sehr ernste Scherze."

	And I learn, slowly, but I do learn. I can often read a man page
now, and even make a stab at which one to read.

	Finally, I had a hunch that the downgrade would break again, but
respond to the completion command. Bad hunch :

[....]
--> Processing Dependency: libcrypto.so.10(libcrypto.so.10) for package:
fetchmail-6.3.22-2.fc18.i686
--> Processing Dependency: libcrypto.so.10(libcrypto.so.10) for package:
python-libs-2.7.3-13.fc18.i686
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.10 for package: wget-1.14-5.fc18.i686
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.10 for package:
1:qt-4.8.5-10.fc18.i686
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.10 for package: 2:nmap-
ncat-6.40-1.fc18.i686
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.10 for package:
socat-1.7.2.2-1.fc18.i686
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.10 for package:
dillo-3.0.3-1.fc18.i686
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.10 for package:
stunnel-4.56-1.fc18.i686
Killed
[root at T30 ~]# yum-complete-transaction
BDB2053 Freeing read locks for locker 0x7c: 8855/3078112960
BDB2053 Freeing read locks for locker 0x7e: 8855/3078112960
BDB2053 Freeing read locks for locker 0x7f: 8855/3078112960
BDB2053 Freeing read locks for locker 0x80: 8855/3078112960
Loaded plugins: langpacks, refresh-packagekit
rpmfusion-free-
updates                                                          | 3.3
kB  00:00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree-
updates                                                       | 3.3 kB
00:00:00
updates/19/i386/
metalink                                                        |  18 kB
00:00:00
updates
| 4.6 kB  00:00:00
updates/19/i386/
primary_db                                                      | 7.7 MB
00:00:03
(1/2): updates/19/i386/
pkgtags                                                  | 624 kB
00:00:01
(2/2): updates/19/i386/
updateinfo                                               | 822 kB
00:00:01
No unfinished transactions left.
[root at T30 ~]#

	Hitting it with one more hammer also failed :

[root at T30 ~]# yum-complete-transaction --skip-broken
Loaded plugins: langpacks, refresh-packagekit
No unfinished transactions left.
[root at T30 ~]#

	At this point I began trying install disks. Oddly enough, the
first one enabled the brightness control; so meseems the hardware is not
broken yet. I'm in process of downloading a fresh DVD of CentOS 6.4; this
thread can be filed away. Having been through it, I plan to wait for F20
for my other machines, skipping F19 or perhaps running FedUp twice in
short order ....

Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.