Can yum resume??

David dgboles at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 18:58:54 UTC 2013

On 10/23/2013 1:12 PM, Beartooth wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 15:51:52 -0400, David wrote: [....]
>> Excuse me. A question or two?
>>
>> You messed up an upgrade over a week ago, maybe two(?), and you
>> still have no solution.
>
> Well, actually, since September 23. (My main question at that time
> was whether the problem was in the hard- or software; and I don't
> believe I've yet gotten a definite answer.)
>
>> How would this time spend 'broken' compare with the time it would
>> have taken to copy your important files, format the drive, and
>> install the never release. Then put back your files and do the
>> tweaks?
>>
>> :-)
>
> The immediate answer is that I concur with Joe Zeff and Javier
> Perez. I'm long retired (fifteen years next month), and little
> concerned with efficiency.
>
> I don't know about you, but besides being an autodidact, I'm really
> too old for this; I forget things, especially when backing up, even
> if I'm not interrupted. Or worse, I give bad commands and get things
> like a big file that includes a copy of itself, which includes (... ,
> etc., recursively, till the drive surrendered; that time I finally
> did give up and install afresh.) When I last spent most of my time
> learning things, the PC had not been invented.
>
> The other approach would have taken more time, been more tedious as
> well as more prone to error, and offered no chance to discover
> something useful (nor to enjoy the intellectual company of the
> better- instructed). Neither would it, afaik, have told me whether
> my hard- or software need healing.
>
> For one thing, my trifocal fingers and arthritic eyeballs slow me
> way down. For another, my CLI-foo is minuscule -- I've probably
> studied too many languages (natural, not computer-) for too long, so
> that now those memory banks are overstuffed, whether or not the eyes
> and fingers function. (Anybody want a lecture on Old High German?
> Minnesang? History of Balto-Fennic grammar?)
>
> Also, the problem machine is my most expendable. If I succeed with
> upgrading it (as I often do, believe it or not), then I can risk
> tackling the next more important, and so up.
>
> Having had occasional disasters with backing up, I seldom relinquish
> an old machine, and keep several largely interchangeable, so that
> when (not if) I bollix one so badly that I can't get it online, I'll
> be able to keep up my normal activities while howling aside for
> help.
>
> What's more, with several machines I can do enough of the backing up
> with a GUI instead of a CLI so that there's a much better chance
> I'll get it right. That bottom line in my .sig is what the late
> Goethe would have called "sehr ernste Scherze."
>
> And I learn, slowly, but I do learn. I can often read a man page
> now, and even make a stab at which one to read.
>
> Finally, I had a hunch that the downgrade would break again, but
> respond to the completion command. Bad hunch :

> [...]

There is only one Linux distribution that I have ever had any real,
painless success upgrading from release, modified and used, to the next
release. And that is not Fedora. And no it is *not* Ubuntu.  :-)  The
only success *I* have had with a Fedora update was with a fresh install
of one release, run and updated, to a 'same-day' upgrade of the next
release. Nothing added or modified. Just the 'default' install.

I have however seen others that have talked about success but I have
never seen them mention any 'major changes'. I have seen what looks to
me like '3rd party stuff', you show rpmfusion, being a problem since
some 3rd party repos might not be enabled for the update.

I have never tried to downgrade a version but I have downgraded packages.

Fedora's rawhide, which updates daily, does actually update from version
to next version painlessly though. And contrary to popular belief is not
'always broken'.

I do not recall if you said that you and tried a Live-CD to test your
hardware against Fedora 19.

I feel your pain. But I think that you are trying to ride a sick, if not
dead, horse.  :-(
--

  David