Can yum resume??

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Sun Oct 27 18:33:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 14:58:54 -0400, David wrote:

> On 10/23/2013 1:12 PM, Beartooth wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 15:51:52 -0400, David wrote: [....]
>>>
>>> You messed up an upgrade over a week ago, maybe two(?), and you still
>>> have no solution.
>>
>> Well, actually, since September 23. (My main question at that time was
>> whether the problem was in the hard- or software; and I don't believe
>> I've yet gotten a definite answer.) [....]

>> [....] I began trying install disks. Oddly enough, the first one
>> enabled the brightness control; so maybe the hardware is not broken
>> yet. I'm in process of downloading a fresh DVD of CentOS 6.4 >>
netinstall; this
>> thread can be filed away.

>> Having been through it, I plan to wait for
>> F20 for my other machines, skipping F19 or perhaps running FedUp twice
>> in short order ....

	[....]
> I have however seen others that have talked about success but I have
> never seen them mention any 'major changes'. I have seen what looks to
> me like '3rd party stuff', you show rpmfusion, being a problem since
> some 3rd party repos might not be enabled for the update.

	If you mouse around a bit on the rpmfusion site, you'll find it
has an impressive pedigree. So I've been using it, literally since it
went online -- w/o, afaict, ever having had any trouble that came from it.

> 	[....]
> I feel your pain. But I think that you are trying to ride a sick, if not
> dead, horse.  :-(

	Yes, I did finally give it the coup de grace a couple days ago.
After several false starts, I did a netinstall of CentOS 6.4.

	I chose the minimal this time, and I think that helped. I spent a
day or two combing through the add/remove software function, removing
things I know I won't use. Now I'm combing through it again, adding
things I know I will use, if I can find them, knowing there will be a few
favorites I won't be able to get CentOS rpms for. (They're a large reason
I keep as many machines as I can running Fedora.)

	I'm sorry to be reporting that the original attempt failed (and
I'm *still* not sure whether I have a hardware problem! GUI stuff looks
normal, but I can't get my terminal enough contrast to make it readable
without squinting.) Nevertheless, it has been an instructive failure, and
I thank all of you heartily for bearing with me.

Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.