"Oh no! Something has gone wrong."

Oliver Ruebenacker curoli at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 23:26:28 UTC 2013

     Hello,

  After a failed attempt to install the manufacturer's nvidia driver, my
system (Fedora 19, with both Gnome and KDE, on a Lenovo ThinkPad T430) does
not reach the graphical login screen any more, but instead ends up in a
white screen with a frowning computer cartoon and the message

  "Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem occurred and the system can't
recover. Please contact a system administrator."

  I can still do Ctrl-Alt-F2 to log into text mode. When I try startx, I
get an empty screen with white or black background and a mouse cursor,
extending over my two screens (laptop and external). When I try startkde it
says:

  $DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to X server.

  The only error in /var/etc/X11.0.log is:

  Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)

  In /var/log/messages, there are a bunch of lines like (I'm typing by
hand):

  gnome-session[2658]: (gnome-shell:2949): Cogl-WARNING **:
./driver/gl/cogl-framebuffer-gl.c:561: GL error (1282): Invalid operation

  Could not find a solution on Google.

  I already reinstalled a bunch of packages, including cogl, gdm,
gnome-shell, @kde-desktop, xorg-x11-drv-nouveau, kernel, but no change.

  Any advice? Thanks!

     Best,
     Oliver