install to disk for another system

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Oct 30 21:08:31 UTC 2013

Am 30.10.2013 22:00, schrieb idwsh6b02 at sneakemail.com:
> I'm looking for strategies that support installing fedora to a removable disk that will then be removed to run in another system.  Ideally this will be automated (as opposed to clicking on 'Next' buttons like the standard anaconda install from CD).
>
> Basically I'm picturing something like:
>
>  - set up partitions / filesystems based on some config file
>  - install packages from local repository
>  - post-package configuration (e.g., configure etc files)
>  - remove disk, insert another, repeat
>
> This sounds very kickstart-ish, but kickstart is usually used to install onto storage on the actual target system.  I want to install to a disk in a separate machine, then move the disk to the target system.
>
> This might even be an installation for a target system that is not the same architecture as the installer system.
>
> Fire away.  What solutions are out there?

normally in such cases you install a template setup on one machine
followd by a image of the complete disk (from a live CD or stick)
and install the image on the spare disk

man dd

make sure you have a *full initrd* and if you avoid specific
graphics drivers the installation will boot on most hardware

[root at localhost:~]$ cat /etc/dracut.conf.d/91-host-only.conf
hostonly="no"

in case of RAID10 systems i vene put two of the 4 disks to
the new machine and make a RAID-rebuild on both of them

if the system does not boot up you chossed the wrong one
but since it wil not boot at all no harm - try different
disks to move