Affordable 802.11n USB dongle that IS supported in Fedora

Patrick Oltmann patrick.oltmann at posteo.net
Mon Aug 4 10:22:24 UTC 2014

On Sunday 03 August 2014 23:20:26 Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I spent 30 min going through all the 'clearance' open boxes at
> MicroCenter today with my notebook, trying to see if any came up as
> supported.  None did.  I went to the section with the unopen items and
> found the Asus claiming Linux support.  So much for that; looks like you
> have to build it yourself and hope for the best.
>
> So is there a USB 11n dongle that IS supported and can be had for <
> $20?  Actually an external antenna is a plus as it will be on a server
> that at times will be a client and times an AP.

I got this one here a couple of months ago:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter-gnu-linux-tpe-n150usb

Good thing is that you know the actual chip you are buying. The dongle
worked out-of-the-box with F19 and F20, also as AP, which was my main
requirement. It's slightly above your 20 USD limit though.

ATB

Patrick