why would using "sftp" require disabling "vsftpd"?

Patrick Kobly patrick at kobly.com
Fri Feb 7 16:33:19 UTC 2014

Robert,

I figured I would reply to this, as it seems the responses you have received so far have lacked clarity (or haven't included all of the relevant information).

There are two commonly used protocols that are functionally equivalent to FTP but use encrypted channels.  They are:

SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_File_Transfer_Protocol
FTPS (FTP Over SSL) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTPS

On the server side:
The package vsftpd does not implement SFTP.  It implements FTP (non-encrypted) and FTPS.
OpenSSH (provided by openssh-server) implements the server-side of SFTP.  It does not implement FTPS.

On the client side:
curl (provided by curl) and lftp (provided by lftp) van both act as clients for FTPS.
sftp (provided by openssh-clients) and a wide variety of other file transfer programs act as clients for SFTP

While both of these protocols provide roughly equivalent protection for ensuring that credentials are not passed in cleartext, SFTP has a couple major security advantages.  a) public key client authentication, so your password doesn't need to be used, b) It is _much_ more firewall friendly, as it doesn't establish separate dynamic data connections.

PK