AM/PM in Thunderbird -

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 27 01:36:24 UTC 2014

On 02/27/14 01:53, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-02-26 at 23:45 +0600, g wrote:
<<<>>>
<<<<>>>>

>> bob know what it means. :-)
>
> As do I, now that you've said you meant "s/n ratio".

granted, due to s/n also abrivs 'serial number'.

next time i will use the other abriv - s2n. :-)

<<>>>

>> yes, when kde is closed, what ever was running is closed, unless
>> there was a 'nohup' issued.
>>
>> when i _logout_ from kde desktop, to 'switch user', 'suspend to
>> disk', 'suspend to memory', 'restart', or 'shutdown', i do not
>> close out what ever i have sitting open in 'task bar'.
>
> Switching user and suspending do not log out. Shutdown and
 > restart do.

ok. i do not use either. next time i will try and not presume. ;-)

<<>>
<<<<>>>>

>>> Can't think of a reason for that offhand, other than some kind of
>>> script bug.
>>
>> 'script bug'?
>
> A bug in the .bashrc init script.

which? '/etc/bashrc' or '/etc/skel/.bashrc'?

i would think it to be former than latter. strange that if it is
either, it has not been noticed before now.

<<<>>>

>> not all true. see above.
>
> I disagree. I invite you to list the process IDs of the running
 > apps in one of your sessions, close the session without restarting
 > the system, start a new session, then list the PIDs again. The two
 > lists will show different PIDs.

well now, that is a rather boastful statement to make. even for
you. ;-)

in fact, i would go so far as to say that a few system processes
will have same pid from one start up to another, much less a user
starting a desktop having the same numbers.

i would say that maybe the 1st 100 or 200 system processes listed
_might_ have the same pid, but there will be very few after that.

i base this on way pids are assigned, time taken to start processes,
time allotted to the processes, and a whole lot of other variables
that i do not recall.

it has been a long time passed when i first read about pid numbers
and how they are assigned to a process. and, i am talking about
sometime back in the 80's.

just by listing the first 200 lines of different start ups, one
will/should very quickly see a difference. and, note that i use
word _line_, because the 1st couple hundred lines are not in a
sequential order because there are processes that start and end
during system start up, as well as with a user start up.

also, understand that i am not, nor have i intended to infer,
that the *exact* same _process_, including the pid, is restarted,
only that the *processes* on the task bar are _restarted_.

with two exceptions, "firefox's library" and "thunderbird's address
book". they must be restarted manually, which is something that i
have noted when restarting desktop. minor things do not remain in
my 'chemo brain'. ;-)

--

peace out.

tc.hago.