AM/PM in Thunderbird -

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 27 18:09:27 UTC 2014

On 02/27/14 16:24, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 07:36 +0600, g wrote:
>> also, understand that i am not, nor have i intended to infer, that
>> the *exact* same _process_, including the pid, is restarted, only
>> that the *processes* on the task bar are _restarted_.
>
> As long as we agree that "restarted" is not the same as
 > "continued", that is exactly the point I'm trying to make.

i do not recall using word _continued_, nor will i bother to go
back thru my past emails in this thread to see if i did.

as i stated, it has been along time back when i read about pid
assignment, but one of the things i do recall is that a pid
number is never reissued. therefore i doubt that i used the
word _continued_. if i did, all i can say is that is something
else that 'chemo brain' haunts. :-)

> In your earlier posts you appear to say that a change in process
> environment (e.g. caused by modifying an exported Shell variable)
> can affect the behaviour of other processes not descended from it.
> That's the conclusion I draw from your earlier description of
 > what's happening in various terminals, but please correct me if
 > I've misunderstood.

not true. just what did i write to cause you to think such? because
i know and well aware of fact that when one shell environment is
running, it maintains that environment until the user does
something to change environment. this is what the *shell* is all
about.

tho i am not wondering what a system change might be able to do.
and, i would think, that it would be something major, like maybe
a device being disabled.

> My suggestion about listing PIDs is merely to illustrate that by
> ending a KDE session and starting another one you get a different
 > set of processes, so environment changes occurring prior to the
 > new session will be reflected in the new processes. However if
 > instead of ending the session you merely execute a new terminal
 > that doesn't inherit from one where you made the change (say by
 > clicking on the desktop menu) then the environment of that new
 > process will be the unmodified version as seen by the rest of
 > the current session.

if i understand what you saying, that is not totally true. as
stated, if i am in a terminal and i make a change to the
'.bashrc' file, that change will be picked up by any new terminal
that i start, because new terminal shell will read the new
'.bashrc' file and start with that environment.

which is something that i should have stated when i first made
post of using ". /.bashrc".

something that does come to mind is if i have 2 terminals open
and i change '.bashrc' in terminal-a and then switch to
terminal-b and issue an 'sh' command, i believe that the new
shell would/might inherit the environment of the shell i was
already in. but that is something that i would have to try
before i would say that that *is* what would happen.
[yes, i am too lazy to try right now to see. ;-) ]

> IOW, if you want an environment change to be seen by the entire
> session, the only practical way to do it is by terminating the
> session and running another one. This is most commonly done by
> logging out and in again.

which would depend on just what the processes are using. if none
of them are critical to environment, then a restarting of desktop
is not needed.

but yes, if a process is environment dependent, desktop needs to
be restarted, or just that process needs to be restarted.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.

.