Fedora 20 on Dell Precision M3850

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Tue Jun 24 03:18:28 UTC 2014

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:45:57 +0200 fedora <fedora at ayni.com> wrote:

> On 2014-06-23 07:10, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > According to FedEx, my new machine is on a truck speeding to my
> > local distribution center for delivery tomorrow. So hopefully it will
> > be here tomorrow. I had two questions:
> >
> > 1) It comes with Windoze 7 (with an upgrade option/disc for W8). Not
> > sure if I want to wipe it off (ideally, I would have liked to have not
> > paid for it) but I was wondering if I wanted to do a dual boot, is
> > there a set of instructions somewhere that I could follow? I have had no
> > problems with earlier windoze xp unProfessional dual installs, but not
> > with W7 or W8 (have not even seen a machine with this one). I do wonder
> > about keeping an OS I am likely to only use when I am talking to some
> > technical support for some service. Somehow the ones that require
> > contacting technical support always want you to use IE. I bluff my way
> > through on these ones.
> >
> > 2) This laptop has touchscreen abilities. While I could in general care
> > less about this feature, again I did not have an option to get rid of
> > it. So, I wonder if it is possible to use the touchscreen features with
> > Fedora 20?
> >
> > Am I better off trying CentOS on this machine because of the two
> > questions above? I would however like to stick to Fedora.
> >
> > Many shanks,
> > Ranjan
> >

> Hi Ranjan
> regarding question 1) I got a PC (Desktop) with fully installed Windoze
> 7 as well. I then told the Fedora Installer to shrink the Windoze
> partition. Then I installed Fedora (without dual boot). And on Linux I
> installed VirtualBox and I made Windoze 7 to operate in VirtualBox.
> This way, I don't need to reboot, but can start Windoze like a Fedora
> application.

So, I first defragmented and then tried to shrink the W7 partition on
Windoze. However, the 500 GBib disk is shown as having only 226 GB
availability. What is in the rest of it? This is new and I have only
logged in, not added anything. What would happen if I used the Fedora
Installer (anaconda? ) to shrink? How does one do this without
removing/erasing/damaging the partition?

Thanks,
Ranjan

> suomi
> --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use
appropriate addresses.