Trouble starting webex in F20

Chris Kottaridis chriskot at quietwind.net
Thu May 1 20:27:52 UTC 2014

On 05/01/2014 02:11 PM, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> * Chris Kottaridis <chriskot at quietwind.net> [2014-05-01 13:25]:
>> I have an F19 and an F20 host and when I try to start a webex on the
>> F20 host it doesn't work right. It works fine on the F19 machine.
>>
>> The symptom is that when I start the webex in F20 it sends up a
>> message about wanting to run an applet and I tell it yes it's OK to
>> run the applet. That doesn't come up on the F19 host. On the F19 the
>> icedtea icon pops up for a short time and then I get connected. I
>> don't see the icedtea icon pop up in F20.
>>
>> I did notice that icedtea is at 1.5 in F20, but at 1.4 for F19 and
>> there is some policy control added in 1.5. I set the policy to allow
>> all applets to do everything for the time being in the
>> .config/icedtea-web/security/java.policy file which the icedtea-web
>> man page says is the default policy file.
>>
>> Any ideas on what the difference might be between F19 and F20 would
>> be appreciated or pointer to a different group that could help.
>>
>> Sorry that I only have rather high level usage info, but so far
>> other then this issue with starting a webex everything seems OK that
>> I have tried so far.
>>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Is it possible for us to reproduce this? If so, what are the steps?
You'd need a webex account.

After some more playing it seems the issue is when I try to share my
desktop it doesn't get shared in F20, but does in F19.

That is what's so weird is it works like a champ in F19. I assume there
is just something missing, maybe something I need to install or some
permission or configuration setting. I haven't found anything in any log
files yet to help point to what the problem might be.

When I connect to webex to start a session if I click on Activities I
see a webex icon of a ball that is half green and half blue and the name
is "sun-applet-PluginMain" on the activites list. After I click on share
desktop I see a second icon like that which says Atasjni on the F19, but
still only have the one on F20. So, it seems some app is having trouble
getting started when I click to share desktop. So, far I haven't found
any complaint in any log file though.

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis