Disabling users after a period of time

Renich Bon Ciric renich at woralelandia.com
Fri May 2 10:38:03 UTC 2014

Hello, Fedudes!

So this is the situation:

I have a server called "El Servidor de la Comunidad" or "The Community
Server".

This servers provides old fashioned hosting to GNU & Linux and Fedora
enthusiasts.

Everybody has a shell and their websites are all in /srv/www; owned by
them and their group; allowing the world to enter.

Basically, everything has 2771 from /srv/www and up; until it reaches
the actual document root; where people have what they please.

So, since we're not an ISP; just a bunch o' loosers, we do not have an
idea of when a user needs to renew the yearly subscription, which is
$100.

Anyway, I thought of using usermod -e; which is the expire flag. But
this will not disable their websites along with the user, since the
files are out of their home dir; which we will never support.

So, I need good ideas on how to make their websites go away with a "this
guy doesn't pay... " message.

This is to avoid the possibility of somebody not paying for the service;
which covers the bills for the server.

So, if anybody has a great idea, this is the time to spit it out.

Thanks guys; in advance.

p.s. Please, do not pollute this email with rants about how 2771 doesn't
provide actual security or why should we put stuff at /home; which we
will not do. Focus on clean, simple, ingenious solutions, if you may.

--
Renich Bon Ciric <renich at woralelandia.com>