Consistent device naming

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Wed May 14 00:33:04 UTC 2014

I manage a lab with more than a hundred machines, all doing the same
things. Presently they are running Fedora 13 and are obviously sorely
overdue for an upgrade. But doing an upgrade is likely to present
several issues, one of which I'd like to discuss today.

The machines come from several manufactures and were purchased over a
span of years. Their hardware differs substantially but all have two
Ethernet interfaces. With F13, these are /always/ called eth0 and eth1.
When one is implemented by an add-in card and the other is on the
motherboard, the motherboard interface is /always/ eth0.

My experience with newer Fedora releases, on other machines, is that
this naming reliability has gone away. The names assigned, by default,
depend on the hardware configuration of the machine. Some may call the
motherboard port em1, others may call it p1p4, and even more names are
possible. The add-in port has similarly inconsistent names.

Note, I don't mean the names are inconsistent on the same machine. I
understand the purpose of the systemd/udev naming rules and how they
work, but they get in my way.

So I know that I can try to return to the old naming system using one or
more techniques
(<http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/>).
And I've tried them all. But I find that, sometimes the motherboard port
gets called eth0 and the add-in port is eth1, and sometimes those names
get reversed. This is /not/ the old behavior even though it uses the old
names.

I want to run the same software on all of these machines and having
inconsistent names /between/ the machines makes that next to impossible.
Using the new names means that my software has to learn all those
different names and can't easily determine which name applies to the
motherboard port. Using the old names means it can't predict which name
will be given to which port.

There's got to be a better answer.
--
Dave Close