Acrobat fonts compared to Evince fonts

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Wed May 14 06:52:17 UTC 2014

On 14/05/14 07:56, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 05/13/2014 05:47 PM, Dale Dellutri wrote:
>> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 8:23 PM, Robert Moskowitz
>> <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>>> I am displaying IEEE 802 standard pdfs.  In Acrobat that I get for
>>> Fedora
>>> from Adobe's repo, the font used is basically unreadable,
>>> particularly when
>>> I display it on the monitor in the meeting room.
>> I don't understand why this should be more noticeable when displaying
>> it on
>> the monitor in the reading room, unless it's a resolution problem.
>
> Because it is almost readable on the LCD, but when it gets projected on
> the screen for some reason there are all sorts of vertical lines next to
> many of the characters.

If I recall/understand correctly, Adobe Reader uses font antialiasing by
default, something called Cooltype; whereas evince, and almost all the
Linux PDF readers built against poppler, don't apply any font
antialiasing/smoothing. I'd try tinkering with the font settings in
Adobe Reader ("font smoothing" settings).

[...]

--
Ahmad Samir