Acrobat fonts compared to Evince fonts

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 14 07:05:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-05-13 at 19:56 -1000, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> it is almost readable on the LCD, but when it gets projected on
> the screen for some reason there are all sorts of vertical lines next
> to many of the characters.

That sounds like "ringing," often caused by bad cabling, or badly
designed input and output video stages.  If it appears different for
different fonts, it could be due to some fonts having sharp edges (which
sets off ringing), and others having smoothed/aliased edges (which won't
ring as bad).  Bigger and fatter fonts minimise that artifact, too.
Turning down the sharpness control, on the projector, could help, too
(often the normal position is with the control turned fully down - it
provides a variable artificial sharpness boost, ranging from none to too
much, but doesn't do the opposite and provide artificial smoothing, with
normal being adjusted half-way).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 2.6.32-431.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 7 23:32:49 UTC 2014

public lists.