Thunderbird--find messages

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat May 17 08:31:55 UTC 2014

On 05/17/14 04:52, Doug wrote:
> I didn't know what list to send this to, but since there has been
 > some discussion about Mozilla products here, I'll try this one.
>
> I get a large number of messages every day, in addition to those I
> filter out and don't see.  Unfortunately, some of these messages
 > seem to come in out of time sync, for one reason or another.
 > I don't send everything on the incoming list to trash as soon as I
 > read it. Some of the letters I keep for later reference. Some are
 > tagged, some not.

emails are shown by time they arrive to you. when they are out of
time order, it is because of delays reaching your email provider.

> The resulting message list may have two or three, or tonight, 20,
 > unread messages mixed in with the read and temporarily saved
 > messages, so that the Inbox reads "Inbox (20)" even tho you are at
> the bottom of the list. Now you have to go and find these 20 emails,
 > which are scattered among perhaps 100 or more messages in the list
 > which have been read already.

this is not a fault of thunderbird and something one has to contend
with.

> It would be nice if there were a button somewhere that would go to
 > the highlighted messages, one at a time, starting at the top and
 > working its way down, until they have all been opened and/or
> deleted.

as Ed Greshko replied, you have a sort option in the "View" selection.

if you are reading emails with "Unthreaded", last of selects under
"View > Sort by", select "Date" and they will be by time sent stamp.

if you use "Threaded", use "View > Sort by > Order received" so
they will sort by time stamp.

ie;

   View > Sort by > Date + Unthreaded

   View > Sort by > Order received + Threaded

may not seem logical, but this is how i find it to work in
thunderbird up to 24.5.0.

hth.

--

peace out.