So has anyone gotten their sound to work since it broke a few days ago?

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Tue May 20 15:22:03 UTC 2014

Ian Malone writes:

> On 20 May 2014 04:50, David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:
>
>> But even
>> so, unless you have a specialized need for Pulseaudio, which apparently may
>> include very high-end audiophile applications, removing it seems generally
>> harmless.
>
> High end audiophile applications like having more than one sound
> source running at a time?

I'm sorry. I can't answer this adequately. It's what came up the last time
I saw this discussion.

Apparently, and I'm clearly not anywhere near enough of an audiophile to
understand what they were going on about, pulseaudio does make some sound
capabilities that matter a lot to musicians--which I think *did* include
mixing--and other people who really care about extremely high fidelity
sound. It was, for me, a jaw-dropping conversation that required me to
acknowledge that as much as I think I care about high quality sound, I was
completely out of my league.

I'd point you to the right list if I remembered which it was. And I think
it'll be hard to find via Google because usually discussions about
pulseaudio and its necessity devolve into flame wars.

--
David Benfell
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you do not understand the