So has anyone gotten their sound to work since it broke a few days ago?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue May 20 21:35:13 UTC 2014

On 20 May 2014 16:22, David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:
> Ian Malone writes:
>
>> On 20 May 2014 04:50, David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:
>>
>>> But even
>>> so, unless you have a specialized need for Pulseaudio, which apparently
>>> may
>>> include very high-end audiophile applications, removing it seems
>>> generally
>>> harmless.
>>

>> High end audiophile applications like having more than one sound
>> source running at a time?
>

> I'm sorry. I can't answer this adequately. It's what came up the last time I
> saw this discussion.
>
> Apparently, and I'm clearly not anywhere near enough of an audiophile to
> understand what they were going on about, pulseaudio does make some sound
> capabilities that matter a lot to musicians--which I think *did* include
> mixing--and other people who really care about extremely high fidelity
> sound. It was, for me, a jaw-dropping conversation that required me to
> acknowledge that as much as I think I care about high quality sound, I was
> completely out of my league.
>
> I'd point you to the right list if I remembered which it was. And I think
> it'll be hard to find via Google because usually discussions about
> pulseaudio and its necessity devolve into flame wars.

That sounds more like Jack, where latency and multiple stream handling
is important. Neither Jack nor PA particularly help with high fidelity
sound, good hardware does that. (There is a slight factor in how
sample rate and depth conversion is handled.)

I was really referring to the fact in 'the bad old days' it was
necessary to halt or even shut-down one application that was playing
sound before another could. The normal response to this is 'but I only
listen to one thing at a time!'. Which is not really true if, for
example you want to have skype running but listen to music, or use
flash at all. There was a brief attempt to fix this with alsa dmix
settings, but it's pretty inflexible.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk