[OT] Chrome Notice (Warning)

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon May 26 10:12:32 UTC 2014

On 05/26/14 17:01, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>> On 05/26/14 15:00, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
>>> There is nothing glorifying in ~/.local/share/applications. You may like dead links in your application menu. I don't. I like the concept of purging everything a package installed. Any time you reinstall you will have deal with conflicts.
>> So, for example, you are on a system shared with other users and the admin decides to erase firefox you want the erasure of firefox to remove all *your* firefox related data?  Remembering that it is possible that users install and run their own copies of firefox within the users environment.
>>
>> Would you want the erasure of digikam to remove all photos in a users area?
>>
>> Think about it.....
>>
>> Removing a *system* application should not (dare I say must not) fiddle with user's files.
> That raw data is not useful for general users. Most computer users
> don't even know what a browser is. All important data like bookmarks
> and settings are already synced to the cloud.
>
> Photos have nothing to do with digiKam. They existed before digiKam
> and will be added after it is installed. There is a vast difference
> between user photos and links created the system.
>
> How an administrator wants to do things is his prerogative? In my
> university, probably standards for any American university, is to
> delete any personal data after a user logs off. You can't run
> executables. You can't save anything on the library, or cafeteria or
> computer lab's computer for that matter.

You are confusing things, IMHO, we are not talking about the "prerogative" of a system admin but how things are/should work.

You seem to be suggesting that....

yum erase google-chrome-stable

remove *all* data that has ever been associated with Google-Chrome for *all* users.  I take it you would want it to remove, as you said, all users ~/.local/share/applications/*chrome* as well as ~/.config/google-chrome for every single user on the system?

What if the intention or action of the admin is to....

yum erase google-chrome-stable
yum install google-chrome-stable

you've now wiped out the user's data.  Does that really sound like a good idea to you?

Is it your contention that all applications should delete the configuration details held in ~/.config of all users when those applications are removed?  Are you going to modify yum, rpm and all package management software to add a switch to "retain user's data"?

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong. -- Dandemis