[OT] Chrome Notice (Warning)

Sudhir Khanger sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com
Mon May 26 11:51:59 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 05/26/14 17:01, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
>>> So, for example, you are on a system shared with other users and the admin decides to erase firefox you want the erasure of firefox to remove all *your* firefox related data?  Remembering that it is possible that users install and run their own copies of firefox within the users environment.
>>>
>>> Would you want the erasure of digikam to remove all photos in a users area?
>>>
>>> Think about it.....
>>>
>>> Removing a *system* application should not (dare I say must not) fiddle with user's files.
>> That raw data is not useful for general users. Most computer users
>> don't even know what a browser is. All important data like bookmarks
>> and settings are already synced to the cloud.
>>
>> Photos have nothing to do with digiKam. They existed before digiKam
>> and will be added after it is installed. There is a vast difference
>> between user photos and links created the system.
>>
>> How an administrator wants to do things is his prerogative? In my
>> university, probably standards for any American university, is to
>> delete any personal data after a user logs off. You can't run
>> executables. You can't save anything on the library, or cafeteria or
>> computer lab's computer for that matter.
>>

> You are confusing things, IMHO, we are not talking about the "prerogative" of a system admin but how things are/should work.
>
> You seem to be suggesting that....
>
> yum erase google-chrome-stable
>
> remove *all* data that has ever been associated with Google-Chrome for *all* users.  I take it you would want it to remove, as you said, all users ~/.local/share/applications/*chrome* as well as ~/.config/google-chrome for every single user on the system?
>
> What if the intention or action of the admin is to....
>
> yum erase google-chrome-stable
> yum install google-chrome-stable
>
> you've now wiped out the user's data.  Does that really sound like a good idea to you?
>
> Is it your contention that all applications should delete the configuration details held in ~/.config of all users when those applications are removed?  Are you going to modify yum, rpm and all package management software to add a switch to "retain user's data"?
>

> --
> Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong. -- Dandemis
> --

I like the idea of "remove" which removes just the package and "erase"
which erases everything automatically-created-and-hidden-by-system.
>From time to time software start misbehaving or an update that brings
huge changes and it won't work properly because software has been
updated but don't know how to handle conflicting system files. In that
case a simple switch to removing things completely is helpful.

Yum man page has nothing on what erase does.

I don't run a multi-user setup so that is something beyond my concern.

--
Regards,
Sudhir Khanger.