Installing with F20 installer report (and failure)

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Thu May 29 18:29:40 UTC 2014

Sudhir Khanger <sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com> writes:

> On Thursday, May 29, 2014 02:19:55 PM lee wrote:
>> Sudhir Khanger <sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com> writes:
>> >
>> > Because the dual graphic card support came in later Kernels than the one
>> > shipped with Fedora 20.
>>
>> Hm, are such cards going to be supported soon?  So far, I haven`t been
>> able to use it at all because when I switch, there is no output to the
>> screen anymore.
>>

> Recent Kernels do support power management to turn off dedicated graphic
> cards. It being able to automagically switch graphic card for GPU load is a
> long shot at the moment.

If would already help if I could switch manually.

> Nouveau doesn't even work on my system. It floods my system with messages [1]
> which makes it impossible to get to the desktop. I use Nvidia binary drivers
> through Bumblebee which works fine.

It`s some ATI card in this case.  Perhaps the drivers would work, but
there won`t be any point when nothing is displayed ...

>> More importantly, the system doesn`t boot.  Any ideas how to install
>> Fedora with the setup I described so that it boots, or how to get it to
>> boot?
>
> The docs tell me it is quite possible to create RAID partition using Anaconda.
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/20/html/Installation_Guide/Create_Software_RAID-x86.html
>
>  http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Installation_Guide/Create_Software_RAID-x86.html

It was possible to create them --- or least to tell the installer to do
so.  Since it doesn`t boot, I don`t know what was actually done.

>>Why is LVM a default "Partition scheme" (whatever that means)?  I have
>>no use for lvm.
>
>>Let`s say "I want more space" ... and "Standard Partition" (whatever
>>that is) and "Encrypt my data and set a passphrase later".
>
> Why do you want to use RAID-1 when you say that you have no idea what LVM or
> even Standard Partitions are?

I`m not saying that I have no idea what LVM is, only that I don`t have
use for it.  And the installer doesn`t say what it means by "standard
partitions".  I want to use raid because I don`t store data on a single
disk only.

> And same goes for employing full-disk encryption. If you don't know
> what to do with passphrase, you will inevitably use your data
> permanently and blame Fedora.

I`m not saying that I don`t know what to do with it.  Why do I have to
enter the passphrase like 10 times?  Why does the installer want to save
it, and where?

Anyway, I want to use the system.  Since Fedora fails and there aren`t
any ideas about getting it to work, it seems I have to install something
else.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)